PNNA Young Numismatist (YN) Activities
Scout Clinics and Numismatic Workshops.
YN scholarship available for ANA Summer Seminar in Colorado Springs – See the scholarship page (which links to the scholarship application). The deadline was February 28, 2023. This is normally an annual award.
YN Program at PNNA Spring Conventions – The PNNA YN Treasure Hunt typically takes place on Saturday and Sunday of the annual PNNA Convention. Young numismatists (YNs) ages 17 and under have the opportunity to earn free coins by finding stickers at various “stops” on the bourse floor. The YN program, run by ANA past president Walt Ostromecki, is a hit with kids of all ages!! The Boeing Employees Coin Club (BECC) and/or other local coin clubs may assist with the YN program. Unfortunately Walt has another commitment this spring, but we expect that local volunteers will conduct the program.
Washington State (Puyallup) Fair – This popular event is held each September. The PNNA sponsors the annual coin exhibit in the Hobby Hall, with assistance from local coin clubs. We typically have handouts including magazine copies, event calendars, a coin club list and coins (including elongateds made with the PNNA “penny press”) for junior collectors! These handouts are also available at the spring and fall shows.
YN Program at PNNA 2022 Fall Coin Show (Tukwila) – The PNNA YN Treasure Hunt took place during public show hours on Saturday and Sunday. Young Numismatists (YNs) ages 17 and under had the opportunity to earn free coins by finding stickers at various “stops” on the bourse floor. The YN program, run by ANA past president Walt Ostromecki, is a hit with kids of all ages!! The Boeing Employees Coin Club (BECC) and/or other local coin clubs may assist with the YN program.
Additional Youth/Family activity details for Fall 2021: (Details for 2022 were similar, but may have featured different coins.)
In addition to the YN Treasure Hunt at the Tukwila show, there were a couple of other youth-family activities where kids could earn free America the Beautiful (ATB) Quarters and foreign currency. Walt Ostromecki setup an historical display on the last ATB Quarter, the Tuskegee Airmen, also featuring pictures of the Tuskegee Air Women. A P-Mint Tuskegee 2021 Quarter was given out free on an information card to all youth.
YN Program at Portland (Willamette Coin Club) Fall Show – Beginning in 2021, there are separate PNNA and WCC fall coin shows, and both typically have a YN program. See the WCC’s webpage for details on the Portland Fall Coin Show, as it is no longer a PNNA event.
Typical Youth/Family activity details for annual conventions:
(Activities may differ from year-to-year. Please inquire at the show.)
- 10-stop coin treasure hunt activity for youth and families, as described above.
- Youth can earn and build a starter foreign currency collection through the hands-on activity “MATCH-Currency With Country.” Each correct match after the first six (from a total of 40) earns one piece of foreign paper money – mostly uncirculated pieces. Parents can assist and learn as well.
- In the America the Beautiful (ATB) Quarter trivia challenge, youth can build or add to a collection of ATB Quarters to date. Quarters are all uncirculated P or S Mint issues. Youth earn one ATB Quarter for each correct answer after the first six.
- The final activity is a take on the ANA’s “Treasures In Your Pocket” program which is a hands-on look at U.S. error coin collecting. Youth can search through rolls of coins ‘salted’ with a minor mint error: clip, overdate MM, Large-Small Date 1960 cents, lamination, extra fingers on 2009 Lincoln cent, etc. Each correctly found error piece is the youth’s coin to take home. Eight total possible.
$5 YN memberships available (with online newsletter option) – see membership page.
Washington State Quarter Design Contest (held 2002-2005). Although this activity is long since over, you may want to consider a similar contest pertaining to more recent U.S. coin programs and designs; medal designs, etc.
American Numismatic Association (ANA) YN activities and projects
- Your Newsletter, an electronic publication for and by young numismatists.
- Summer Seminar courses and activities in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
- David R. Cervin Ancient Coin Project.
- Early American Copper Coin Project.
- Convention Programs.
- Treasure Trivia.
For current information, please see the ANA YN page. Programs may be subject to change from time to time.